Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Tangleations of "Well" and a Swell Start to Zentangle Club


This shield-shaped sketch is my
first attempt at well.
Here is my submission to Laura Harm's Weekly Challenge #135: Well. I know that this one is tardy, but better late than never. I have yet to look at the challenge for this week because I wanted to focus on well and not be distracted by this week's exercise. Indeed, well requires lots of concentration. I had difficulty making sure each box had each line and orientating them correctly, so this is not my favorite tangle. I prefer tangles that are more intuitive–ones that feel more familiar. I guess that means that I should do well even more for practice/experience.

3 Tangleations: Aren't blobs fun? I like the one on the left best.
I have some exiting news: Zentangle Club has officially had two meetings! (I apologize for not posting about them sooner; I have been too busy with homework.) We are meeting for half an hour in the middle of the school day every two weeks, alternating between Monday and Thursday. To begin, I am teaching two tangles at each meeting to establish a foundation. Later on, I want people to share what they have independently found or created. I taught crescent moon and hollibaugh at the first meeting Thursday, September 5th. Monday, the 16th, I taught quipple and cubine. There has been a great turnout–about a dozen people have shown up at each meeting. We really fill up the room. (Some can't make both because of labs and conflicts with other clubs.) For now, people are using the Zentangle Apprentice tiles and Pigma 05 pens, but I am ordering class kits so that they can use the more refined materials soon. To demonstrate, I use a large square of poster board on my mom's twirly board propped up on an easel, which sits on a table. This way, I can turn my demo to get a more convenient angle. I use the woodless pencil and the Permopaque marker. I am ecstatic with how well things have gone-- the tiles look fabulous and people are having focused, relaxed fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment